Easy steps to refresh your home.
Choose a room that you really want to give a quick update. It could be because it doesn’t look warm and inviting or tidy in which case some warm lighting or artwork may do the trick if you don’t have time to get the decorators in.
Ask yourself what would this room benefit from? Is it a simple case of de-cluttering and adding a few essential pieces perhaps? We will cover three areas in your home that you can easily update and tweak.
- De-clutter and get rid of stuff that tends to accumulate in this area, shoes, mail or everything and anything that ends up on the hall table.
- If car keys and loose change have to go here put them into a pretty dish/ bowl that looks good as well as functional.
- Maybe you need a new table lamp that gives a lovely warm glow.
- A console table with drawers or cupboards to hold all that extra stuff. You can even add storage pouffes below the console to store shoes etc. TK Maxx are full of these at the moment.
- De-clutter (yes you will be tired hearing me use this word) but I promise you, this is always the first thing to tackle, that believe it or not makes a massive difference. It’s keeping it that way that seems to be the problem.
- Invest in storage ottomans, pouffes or wicker baskets.
- If you are able to get hold of a decorator or you can attempt this yourself, then colour will make a huge difference. A fresh coat of paint really smartens up your space.
- If decorating isn’t an option then add some new artwork (go large for impact, see some examples in mood boards below)
- Style it out with new cushions in your chosen colour theme (you will see a lot of autumnal rusts and golds at the moment)
- If your rug is looking a bit tired, there are plenty of sales at the moment and remember to go large.
- Dress it out with a few well chosen accessories, this really pulls the look together and adds the designer touch.
- Clear the clutter beside your bed and bedside tables and add simple accessories that are pretty like a vase of faux flowers and a pretty trinket bowl/plate or box to pop your jewellery in or mobile phone.
- Bedlinen – Indulge in the best you can afford. Anyone who has taken this step, never regrets it.
- If you can add a new paint colour, be bold and go for it.
- Add your colour scheme with new cushions and a throw.
- Place a rug under your bed, even if you already have carpet.
Tip Swap table lamps from another room to give them a new home and look.
Need a little inspiration? I’ve edited a few of my favourites. below.
Gold with warm rusts to complement this seasons colours.
Black and gold, a luxurious look that never dates these will take your home to another level.
I like to call this relaxed glam lux, a mix of wood textures and glass for a pared back feel.